Elizabeth Glaser; the AIDS activist you never knew.
By Ihegwuagu Peter Tochukwu
In this article, I will be sharing 6 things about the wonderful AIDS activist, Elizabeth Glaser. If you have not heard about her, sit back and have a joyful reading.
· Elizabeth was a popular American AIDS activist and late wife of Paul Michael Glaser (an American actor and director). She was born in November 11, 1947 and died from AIDS related complications in December 3, 1994.
· She contracted HIV in 1981 when a HIV-contaminated blood was transfused to her during the birth of her daughter, Ariel. She unknowingly passed the virus to her daughter through breastfeeding.
· In 1985, Ariel suffered from series of illness and during one of the tests, Elizabeth was diagnosed with HIV. This was one year after the birth of her son Jake in 1984. Ariel later died from AIDS in 1988.
· Her determination to save the life of her son and that of other HIV positive children lead her to form The Pediatric AIDS Foundation in 1988 with a goal to raise awareness about HIV in children and call for more action from the US government. The foundation was renamed Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation ("EGPAF") in 1994 shortly after her death.
· As at today, the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation ("EGPAF") is working in over 12 countries all over the world, dedicated to preventing pediatric HIV infection and eliminating pediatric AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention and treatment programs.
· In 1991, she convinced Magic Johnson to go public and announce his HIV status to the world and made him promise to be the face of HIV by going out to help and educate people about the virus.
She was never discouraged by her initial challenges . Her remarkable story is told in a book titled The Absence of Angels.
If Elizabeth can achieve these great feats even after her death.
What is holding you back?